The Level 4 children were busy participating in the Water Safety and Lifesaving program in the week starting Monday 2nd February at Beaumaris Lifesaving Club. A variety of wet and dry activities were ran which allowed for the unpredictability of the weather that occurred during the week.
Some of the activities were:
- Relay races- crab, somersaults, running
- Beach Flags
- Learning basic First Aid – DRS ABCD = Danger, Response, Send for help, Airways, Breathing, Compression, Defibrillation
- What’s the acronym COWS for the Response part of First Aid; Can You Hear Me? Open Your Eyes. What’s Your Name? Squeeze My Hand
- Reading the waves, currents, rips and tides of the water
- Water Survival in old, long clothing
- Different swim strokes including the Survival stroke
- Searching on the sand and on the bottom of the water to find objects
- Riding the Nipper boards- races
- Beach Carnival
On Friday, the children finished off with a fun day including competitive races. The children thoroughly enjoyed learning and using new skills.
Mr Smethurst, Ms Wheatley and Mr Macdermid