KHPS offers a broad range of experiences for students under the umbrella of student leadership. We build understandings and skills of leadership through the total curriculum and the many varied activities of school life.
Student leadership activities link strongly with learning about citizenship and the processes involved in a democracy. They can assist all students to learn about, and exercise, the rights and responsibilities of participating in a community that values social justice.
Student leadership therefore encompasses the school’s provision of:
- formal and informal learning opportunities which develop the competency of individuals as leaders and effective participants
- processes and structures for student representation and the incorporation of students’ views into decision making and the life of the school.
The development of student leadership skills involves opportunities which encourage students to:
- act in roles of responsibility with integrity and honesty
- foster a sense of vision and purpose
- work with others to determine and achieve collective goals
- take on responsibilities and use decision making skills in order to carry a project through to a successful conclusion
- be active, reflective listeners who respond effectively
- earn the respect of others through their actions.